How to Make the Perfect Mexican Kidney Bean Fried Rice
One of the best things about Mexican food is that it’s so customizable. You can mix and match your favorite flavors, sauces and toppings to create something that’s unique and delicious each time, whether it’s for dinner or for a party. Learn how to make the perfect Mexican kidney bean fried rice with this helpful guide!
What You’ll Need
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 tbsp minced garlic -1 tsp chili powder
-3 cups of cooked rice (white or brown)
-2 cups of drained kidney beans
-Salt and pepper for taste
It’s important to soak your beans overnight so they are easy to digest. If you forget, then boil them for at least ten minutes before using them in your recipe.
1 can of kidney beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed 1 can of black beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed 1 medium onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups long-grain brown rice 2 cups water 4 teaspoons vegetable oil 1/4 teaspoon chili powder salt and pepper, to taste
Start by cooking rice according to package instructions. Next, in a large skillet, add olive oil and onion and cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add peppers and saute for another 2 minutes. Finally, add tomatoes, kidney beans and seasonings: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Allow mixture to simmer on low heat until all of the liquid has been absorbed into the rice.
- Cook your rice in a pot of boiling water with salt.
- Add some butter or oil to a pan and sautee onions, garlic, and bell pepper for about five minutes until they are soft.
- Add some cumin and chili powder (or any other spice you want) and cook for another minute or so before adding your kidney beans and tomatoes.
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté diced onion until it is softened. Add garlic and jalapeño pepper, cooking for a few more minutes. Add spices and cook for one minute. Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, rice, and water or broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper then stir in chopped cilantro leaves.
Putting It All Together
Start by heating olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and green pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add kidney beans, rice, salsa, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until rice is tender. Top with avocado slices or sour cream and enjoy!
- Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until tender.
- Stir in drained beans, rice, cumin powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 3 minutes or until rice is heated through and starts to turn golden brown.
- Toss in cilantro right before serving and serve with lime wedges if desired!